As a checkout operator, your work would normally include:
- using a computerised till system that has a barcode scanner
- scanning items for customers
- weighing and pricing items such as fruit and vegetables
- using eftpos and recharge machines
- checking customers’ ages for restrictions on items like tobacco
- packing purchases
- processing store loyalty cards, coupons and vouchers
- taking payments and making sure the till balances at the end of the day.
You would need to work quickly so that customers in the queue don’t have to wait too long.
You may spend time away from the till, filling shelves, checking stock or cleaning the customer service area.
Your exact duties would depend on which day you work, for example there may be some lifting involved on some days.
Working hours and conditions
This role is a casual role which means your hours should be flexible. This does include evenings, weekends and holiday periods. Our stores can be open from 7am until 9pm. Shift work is often available and there are lots of opportunities to work in multiple departments.
Some specific checkout operator shifts are labelled “on-call” shifts; where you will need your own transport to be considered for this type of shift.
You would be expected to dress to match our uniform policy. You are expected to look smart, clean and ready for work.
Training and development
Before starting your first shift; you will be required to complete an online course which is made up of 6 – 8 modules. On completion you will then be trained on the job, working alongside experienced staff and supervisors.
Skills, interests and qualities
To be a checkout operator, you should be:
- polite and friendly
- honest and trustworthy
- good with customers and aware of their needs
- comfortable using computerised tills, barcode scanners and electronic payment systems
- confident handling money and giving change
- able to work quickly and accurately under pressure
- comfortable handling customer complaints or referring to a manager
- able to work well in a team.
If you believe that all of this is something that interests you; feel free to apply and if successful, a manager will contact you directly.
Good luck in your application and we hope to see you join the Violi & Co. Team soon.
|Job Category||Front End|